Thursday, March 31, 2011

A girl before a mirror II





 Well one of my favorite of Picasso's work is the Girl before a mirror. There were many conjectures and elucidations have been made regarding this piece... In one of my readings it was mentioned that the girl before a mirror is Marie-Therese Walter the 1st mistress of Picasso. As we could see in the painting the woman seems to be pregnant, many critics have said that Picasso's paintings entails sexuality. Well if it was truly Walter then perhaps the woman in the mirror could be in a contemplating mode. Could it be a manifestation of a woman full of regrets the woman outside the mirror seems to be in state of happiness at the same in state of confusion and as the woman reflects on herself she could see a woman weeping? Because the woman inside the mirror seems to be sadder, the colors are deeper and darker. The woman could have faced reality and reality she sees is painful. Or could it be the wife and the other woman. Outside the mirror is the other woman (Marie Walter) and inside is the wife (Olga Khoklova). Picasso may have compared his life with two different women whom he had both children with. Was he more happy with Marie > was his life was gloomy with Olga? Well anyways many questions have been raise regarding this painting. 
As what I see in the painting, the painting is implying self-awareness. The painting could define the conflict between the real self and the ideal self. This could be a person unsure of her and was afraid to accept her true self. The girl before the mirror seems to be comforting the girl inside the mirror. Is it trying to steal away or is it embracing? Is it someone being trapped and wants to break free? Is it someone who pretends to be happy but inside is tearing apart? Is it someone forms the past and present? Someone who had hope and who is broken hearted?
While looking at the painting I could associate with Disney's mulan. I the title could change to Mulan in the mirror.kekeke....Yes the song reflection by Christina Aguilera assemble the painting. 

Who is that girl I see
Staring straight back at me?
Why is my reflection someone I don't know?
Somehow I cannot hide
Who I am, Though I've tried
When will my
Reflection show who I am inside?
When will my reflection show?
I don't know for some of you, but most of the time I sung this song. Well yes, in front of some people I just can't act the way I want to be and I envy those people who are bold and frank, unafraid and very confident. Sometimes I imagine myself as a celebrity, like lady gaga or big bang ha-ha who can wear the fashion they want, tell the world what they feel and think. Doing it on the unconventional way. Well but I guess I can't live that way and it lead me to thinking that being in the public's eye would make worst because you'll be living according to their judgments. We can't resist that their voices and outraged do really affect us. Well I guess there is no absolute freedom we'll be living in accordance to the norm and the system. No matter how we fight for rights and for liberalism there will always be a limit. And I guess that’s fair enough, it would be selfish if we would want to impose everything what we want....keeping the norms would mean discipline and harmony...well but norms do change every time..We can't just always live the way we wanted it to be.

Keeping on...What's with the mirror... does the mirror symbolize the boundary, boundary of reality and idealism? A representation of difference? Difference in status? Difference among elegance and simplicity among the powerful and the pauppers? Is it someone in great authority trying to capture the weeping innocent who is trapped in the box of society? Could girl before a mirror a social issue, well I must say we could put a thousand words on that painting but the interpretation depends on how we see the painting. The creator may hold the original story but the viewers are always free to create their own versions and to recreate art. Yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder, same thing with Art its definition lies on the enthusiast.

Well I must say Picasso truly made us curious after all….Life is full of billions of unresolved mysteries, life is full of gazillion questions and Life is always curios..

1 comments:

Kodanshi said...

For me the ‘girl’ seems intensely aware of her own sexuality: the breasts, the rounded belly, the green womb in line with her head, the thigh. Contrast this with her mirrored reflection: lopsided breasts, distorted eyes, the figure herself shrouded in blue…

By the way, I like this best out of all Picasso’s artworks as well.

Post a Comment